IEEE POWER AFRICA ARTS COMPETITION FOR SOUTH AFRICA
Enter to win exciting prizes !!
RCA 10.1 inch 2 in 1 Tablet Canon Life Scanner 120 TP Link RE200 Range Extender
|Two-thirds of Africa has no access to electricity. Lighting, cooking, healthcare, security, water and manufacturing are a few sectors that suffer as a result. The IEEE PES-IAS PowerAfrica initiative is one effective mechanism we are using to bring progress and hope to the African power and energy sector by sharing beneficial skills the Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers (IEEE) is strong in.
Our IEEE PES-IAS PowerAfrica conferences gather experts and students from around the world to Africa annually to tackle the continent’s power challenges. The conference will be held in Capetown, South Africa this year.
We have successfully provided travel grants to winners from more than 15 African countries annually for mini-grid training through IEEE Smart Village and introduced middle school-aged African girls to the possibilities of a future in STEM.
This competition is launched by IEEE Power Africa Steering Committee Chair, Urenna Onyewuchi, PhD. and volunteer, Moeketsi Ntsala .For more information on IEEE Power Africa, check out ieee-powerafrica.org
|IEEE Power Africa seeks to attract the youth through art, and showcase the conference theme (clean energy)using images of Pollution energy and different Energy sources in South Africa like Kerosene lamps, Solar energy, Diesel generators, Parrafin stoves, Coal and wood stoves, Mbaolas, Biofuels. The competition seek to capture the energy sources used in SA by ordinary South Africans in Urban and Rural areas|
|ELIGIBILITY AND CATEGORY||Young Africans residing in South Africa aged 18-35 in High Schools, Universities and General public|
|ARTWORK THEMATIC AREA
|The Images should reflect energy sources in South Africa.Contestant should capture all energy source used in South Africa, lighting, fuel used and mostly how rural people survive with energy they use. Contestants are urged to use their mobile devices. The images must tell a story and only two entries to the competition are allowed.
Each entry must include:
1. Relevant image according to above,
2. Description of image including location of image (where image was taken), date picture was captured, energy resource, and any important detail on image,
3. Smartphone/camera model used to take picture,
4. Mention name and dates of the conference
5. Theme of the Cape Town Power Africa Conference,
6. Name of Entrant
|DURATION||9 April to 18 May 2018. Winners will be announced first week of June
Follow us on Instagram @ieee_pes_powerafrica, Facebook (IEEEPowerAfrica) and Twitter (PowerAfrica2018) for details on when the competition opens.
Use appropriate hashtags to enter contest.
|Judging criteria||The images will be posted on the Social media platforms of IEEE Power Africa conference and the first images to reach 500 likes will be considered for the top 20 prize giveaway opportunity. Images will be judged on: Image quality, Creativity, photographic skills, meeting thematic requirements.
IEEE Power Africa will have a team of reviewers for the top 20 images on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter posted with appropriate hashtags.
|Prizes||There will be 6 prizes given: 1 first prize winner, 2 second prize winners, and 3 third prize winners.
1. First prize award: RCA Viking Pro 10.1 inch 2-in-1 Tablet 32 GB
2. Second prize awards: Canon Lide Scanner 120
3. Third prize awards: Wi-Fi Range Extender
The winning images will also be featured on the IEEE Power Africa website, social media platforms, and conference program brochures.
|Submission||Entries received with the appropriate hashtag between April 9 and May 18, 2018 will be considered.|
|Terms and conditions||1. Competition is open to young people of African heritage, aged 18-35years residing in South Africa and excludes employees of IEEE and their close relatives and anyone otherwise connected with IEEE Power Africa
2. No fee to enter
3. By entering this competition an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by Terms and Conditions.
4. Only two imagesor pictures per person showcasing two different energy sources are allowed.
5. Sending more than two entries will lead to disqualification
6. Entrants must utilize the hashtags: #IEEEPOWERAFRICA2018 and #powerafricaarts2018.
7. Entrants should include the name and model of the mobile device used
8. Competition runs from 9 April,2018 till 18 May 2018
9. The IEEE Power Africa reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and this terms and conditions without notice. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by IEEE Power Africa
10. IEEE Power Africa is not responsible inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by third party connected with this competition
11. Winners agree to use his/her name and image in any publicity material of IEEE Power Africa as well as their entry
12. This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by or associated with any social Media platform
13. By entering this competition, entrants affirm that the images they have submitted are their original caption and they own full rights to the images and have capacity to submit such.