Two-thirds of Africa has no access to electricity. Lighting, cooking, healthcare, security, water and manufacturing are a few sectors that suffer as a result. The IEEE PES-IAS PowerAfrica initiative is one effective mechanism we are using to bring progress and hope to the African power and energy sector by sharing beneficial skills the Institute of Electrical & Electronics Engineers (IEEE) is strong in.
Our IEEE PES-IAS PowerAfrica conferences gather experts and students from around the world to Africa annually to tackle the continent’s power challenges. The conference will be held in Abuja, Nigeria this year.
We have successfully provided travel grants to winners from more than 15 African countries annually for mini-grid training through our Smart Village partnership and introduced middle school-aged African girls to the possibilities of a future in STEM.
For more information on IEEE Power Africa, check out ieee-powerafrica.org
Anneru Solutions Incorporated in partnership with IEEE Power Africa Conference seeks to attract African youth through an arts competition with the conference theme: “Power Economics and Energy Innovations in Africa,” in mind. Images of different micro/ large power generators and lighting sources in Nigeria like Kerosene lamps, Solar panels, Diesel generators, Parrafin stoves, Coal and wood stoves, Biofuels are sought by every Nigerian. Description of the images must include daily cost of fueling the source and whether the technology is old, innovative and/or polluting the environment.
For more than on Anneru Solutions Incorporated, please see www.anneru.com
Young people aged 18-35 in High Schools, Universities and General public
Entrants are to upload images on their Instagram accounts, tag and follow the conference Instagram account, and use the competition hashtags to show interest. A complete entry must have an image description showing the following. See an example at the bottom of the list.
1. Relevant image according to above
2. Location of image (city where picture was taken)
3. Smartphone/camera model used to take picture,
4. Type of generator or light source
5. Dates of the conference
5. Cost of the generator fuel in your location
6. Whether the technology is old, innovative and/or polluting
25 May to 30 June 2019. Winners will be announced second week of July
Follow us on
Facebook @IEEEPowerAfricaConf and
Twitter @PowerAfrica2019 for details on when the competition opens.
Use appropriate hash tags to enter contest. (#IEEEPOWERAFRICA2019 and #IEEEPOWERAFRICA)
The images will be posted on the Social media platforms of IEEE Power Africa conference and the first images to reach 500 likes will be considered for the top 20 prize giveaway opportunity. Images will be judged on: Image quality, Creativity, photographic skills, meeting thematic requirements.
IEEE Power Africa will have a team of reviewers for the top 20 images on Facebook, Instagram,linkedIn and Twitter posted with #IEEEPOWERAFRICA and #IEEEPOWERAFRICA hashtags.
There will be 3 prizes given: 1 first prize winner, 2 second prize winners, and 3 third prize winners.
First prize award: HP Pavilion Laptop
Second prize awards: Samsung Galaxy Tab
Third prize awards: Huawei Talk Band Wrist Watch
The winning images will also be featured on the IEEE Power Africa website, social media platforms, and conference program brochures
Entries received with the appropriate hash tag between May 25 and June 30 will be considered.
Location: Lagos, Nigeria
Phone: Samsung Note 8
Source: Diesel Generator
Date: Aug 22 – 25 2019
Cost of Diesel: N100/litre
Technology: Old, polluting
- Competition is open to young people of African heritage, aged 18-35years residing in Nigeria and excludes employees of IEEE and their close relatives and anyone otherwise connected with IEEE Power Africa
- No fee to enter
- By entering this competition an entrant is indicating his/her agreement to be bound by Terms and Condition
- Only two images or pictures per person showcasing two different energy sources are all
- Sending more than two entries will lead to disqualification
- Entrants must utilize the hashtags:
- Entrants should include the name and model of the mobile device used
- Competition runs from 25 May till 30 June,
9. The IEEE Power Africa reserves the right to cancel or amend the competition and this terms and conditions without notice. Any changes to the competition will be notified to entrants as soon as possible by IEEE Power Africa
- IEEE Power Africa is not responsible inaccurate prize details supplied to any entrant by third party connected with this competition
- Winners agree to use his/her name and image in any publicity material of IEEE Power Africa as well as their entry
- This promotion is in no way sponsored, endorsed or administered by or associated with any social Media platform
- By entering this competition, entrants affirm that the images they have submitted are their original caption and they own full rights to the images and have capacity to submit such.