ABOUT IEEE POWERAFRICA
IEEE is an association dedicated to advancing innovation and technological excellence for the benefit of humanity. It’s the world’s largest technical professional society, designed to serve both professionals and students involved in all aspects of science and technology that underlie modern civilization.
It co-sponsors more than 1800 annual conferences worldwide, curating cutting-edge content for all technical fields of interest within IEEE; which are driven through its societies for example Power & Energy Society (PES), Industry Application Society (IAS), Photonics Society, Communication Society (ComSoc) and Computer Society (CS).
PowerAfrica 2020 is a premier conference providing a forum for research scientists, engineers, and practitioners to present and discuss latest research findings, ideas, and emerging technologies and applications in the area of power systems integrations, business models, technological advances, policies and regulatory frameworks for the African continent. The conference will feature keynote addresses and invited presentations by distinguished scientists and engineers.
The Seventh Annual IEEE PES/IAS PowerAfrica Conference (PAC 2020) will be held virtually from August 25 to August 28, 2020 and is co-sponsored by the IEEE Power and Energy Society (PES) and Industrial Applications Society (IAS) under the theme “Sustainable and Smart Energy Revolutions for Powering Africa”. The onsite edition will be held in 2021 in Nairobi, Kenya.
Previous editions of the conference have been held in Johannesburg, South Africa (’07 and ’12), Livingston, Zambia (’16), Accra, Ghana (‘2017), Cape Town, South Africa (’18), Abuja, Nigeria (’19).
- To create platform for participants from manufacturing, academia, telecommunication companies, technology companies, electric utilities and the entire energy industry to discuss on bringing energy to Africa, through expert-lead content, business driven experiences, networking and strategic partnerships with the industry.
- To provide attendees with practical, solution-oriented topics, including case studies and lessons learned, via a diversified technical program consisting of exhibitions, tutorials/workshops, keynote/plenary speeches, poster and oral presentations.
- The technical program is meant to create action plans and follow-up actions on outcome of the conference and reinforce partnerships.
Target participants include:
- Senior-level representatives from IEEE Headquarters and IEEE Industry Ambassadors.
- Representatives from governments, eminent researchers, practitioners and the private sector
- International participants including high level ministry officials, leaders of industries, international organizations, embassies, NGOs and UN agencies
The conference is expected to have the following main outcomes.
- An analytical summary capturing best practices and lessons learned from the consultation and networking meeting will be prepared by conference planning team. This summary will be submitted and circulated at the local and regional level to ensure all stakeholders have visibility of the issues discussed, together with solutions.
- Provide an important opportunity for key policy makers to develop new partnerships as well as between local entities, to act on solutions to issues discussed.
- Deliberations will lead to actionable suggestions and follow-up actions for the relevant stakeholders in the African countries in the overall context of energy security and sustainable development.